Monday 4 March 2013

TUFFYS DANCEHALL CASSETTES



Seeing as the north of England was emphasised in my previous post, I thought I'd keep the theme going with the above items.
During the 1990's, Tuffys, who were based in Manchester, placed small amusing adverts in Echoes music paper and were a mail order service selling reggae dancehall cassettes.
I used to get their lists quite regularly and as a consequence ended up with lots of their tapes. Most were live reggae soundclash recordings from around the world but they would also make their own compilations.
The cassettes I have on display here are now the only Tuffys cassettes from my collection that have survived the passing of time and they date from the 1993-95 period.
The Roots & Culture and Fresh Ragga ones are 2 of their homemade compilations and the other 2 are live recordings. The Waggy T tape is a soundclash battle with Rodigan in Miami, and the Japanese one was recorded in Tokyo at Club Ska.
The ad comes from a 1991 Echoes.

1 comment:

  1. Just doing 4 boxes from tape to pc then to MP3..all tuffys tapes..collection being chuck as I can't keep tapes till I die..rip tapeman gave me many years of sound clash pleasure..

    ReplyDelete